Thursday, September 9, 2010

What makes a good pot of beans?

I have eaten beans and rice since I was a kid.  It was a staple in our weekly meals all growing up.  Pot of beans, rice and corn bread....it's still actually one of my favorite dinners.  So you ask how do you make a good pot of beans?  Well start off with pinto of black beans, you can also do a mixture between the two.  Rinse them.  You can let them soak over night, I don't even do this because I forget to or I'm a plan the dinner a few hours before you cook dinner time type of planner. haha  So I just rinse the beans put them in my large pot.

1 package of beans
7-8 cups of water  (may need to add more like an hour or so later)
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
1/2-1 tsp Chili powder
1/2-1 tsp cumin
and my secret ingredient ....
4-6 tsp of Chicken bouillon
salt and pepper to taste

Add the ingredients stir and let it come to a boil then simmer for 2-3 hours.

The  bouillon really makes beans soooo much better!  I love my beans but I love beans.  I also use my food processor to make them into refried beans or make burritos or black bean tacos, or black bean enchiladas.  I have been very poor at times so I had to learn to use bean in different ways. lol  Luckily I'm not that poor anymore but I still do cook beans at least once a week....got a love them! :)

1 comment:

  1. I just saw this post and am so excited because I do LOVE your beans! Yay I must try. Now you should post how to make a good Mexican rice you do that good too and I have no clue how to!

    ReplyDelete