Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Red Velvet Cupcakes...mmmmm

My hubby had his big 30th Birthday over the weekend!  I decided to make him Red Velvet cupcakes, and I have to say they turned out delicioso!   You have to know I believe in using box cake mix (which I usually modify) as long as you make homemade frosting.  I don't like store bought frosting I think it's nasty!  Homemade is the only way to go when it comes to frosting!  With that said here is the recipe I used!
1 box Red Velevet cake mix
1 small box Chocolate instant jello pudding pie filling
4 Eggs
1/2 c Vegetable oil 
1 1/3 c Water

Mix all ingredients for about 3 mins or until smooth.
Then pour into your pre-lined cupcake pans.  Makes about 24 cupcakes.  Follow cooking instructions on back of the cake box mix.

Then the frosting I don't exactly have a precise recipe I kind of just threw stuff together, but here is the idea.
1 8 oz. Package of cream cheese
1 stick of softened  Butter
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
About 1/2 of Heavy Whipping cream  give or take.
1/8-1/4 tsp Salt
2-4 cups of Powered Sugar

You don't need to soften the cream cheese, you want the frosting to be cold.
Mix the cream cheese and butter together until fluffy which takes about 3 to 5 mins in my kitchen aid. Add in the vanilla and mix again.
Then add 2 cups of sugar and mix.  Now the frosting should be pretty thick so start adding in the heavy whipping cream.  You don't want he frosting to be too runny so add just a bit at a time.  If it gets to runny just add more sugar, it will help thicken it up.  Now you can decided how sweet and the exact texture you want. 
                                     
Good Luck and Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. Can I just say that I love that you started a blog! I also love that it's about food - one of my passions. If I wasn't dieting right now I totally make me some of those!!

    ReplyDelete