Marinate for 3-12 hours
Cook time about an hour
2 lbs Tri tip
Adolf's meat tenderizer (unflavored)
2 Tbs olive oil
6 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic salt
Cajun seasoning (optional)
1. Trim the tri tip if you want to. I usually don't, I don't mind the extra fat...but a lot of people trim. So it's up to you.
2. Sprinkle the meat tenderizer on all sides.
3. Mix the olive oil and salt together. Then rub it all over the tri tip. Now let this marinate for at at least 3 hours. For best results 6-12 hours. The longer the more flavor.
3. Heat up your bbq to as hot as you can get it.
4. Scrap off all the garlic. If you leave the garlic on it will burn on the bbq.
5. Add the black pepper and the garlic salt all over the tri tip. Sometimes I like to sprinkle on a little Cajun seasoning. I love it, but if you don't, then don't add it.
6. On the bbq sear each side of the tri tip for 5 mins,
7. Now lower one of your burners to medium heat and turn off the other burner. Place the tri tip on indirect heat (the side of the bbq with the burner off) and cook for 45 mins or until the meat temp is 135 degrees. Remember the meat continues to cook after you take it off the grill by the time it's rested the meat temp will be about 140-145 degrees. Which I think it the perfect temp.
If you are using a Traeger then set the temp between 325 to 375 degrees.
8. Wrap up the meat in foil and let it rest for 10-20 mins.
9. Carve the meat across the grain, and serve.