Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Best Ever Apple Oatmeal Crisp Pie

Yesterday for Valentines Day I wanted to make my hubby one of his favorite desserts.  He love love loves apple pie and apple crisp.  I asked him which one he wanted and after much thought he decided on apple crisp.  As I was prepping I realized I lent my 8x8 pan to a friend ....so I could only use a pie plate.  As I was putting the apples in the this pie plate it just didn't seem right to not have a crust.  I decided to take the apples out and add/make a pie crust.  I am so glad I did!  This pie with the apple oatmeal crisp topping is the BEST apple pie I have ever made/had.  I was completely surprised it was soooo good.  I am not a apple pie person....well I wasn't and now I have to say I am!   I am not however a store bought kind of pie crust person.  Pies just don't taste nearly as good if you don't make them yourself!  So please make this homemade pie crust.  It is fairly easy and its the most delicious pie crust EVER.  It's my southern family's recipe...so you know it's gonna be good!  My pies may not look pretty but they sure taste good I promise. 



This recipe makes one pie.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Pie Filling:  
3-4 Granny Smith apples peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 c sugar
2 tsp flour
1 tsp lemon juice
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
 
Add all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix until well coated.  Then set aside.

Pie Crust:
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 heaping 1/4 c butter flavored Crisco
3-5 Tbs ice cold water

Mix together the flour and salt in a medium bowl.  Cut in the Crisco using the a fork or pastry cutter. Until it looks like cornmeal.  Using a fork gently fluff in the water 1 Tbs at a time.  Until it looks like balls. Then with hands form into 1 ball.  Then roll out to the size of your pie plate. Put crust in the pie plate. Using a fork. poke holes throughout the pie crust.  

Oatmeal Crisp Topping:
3/4 c quick oatmeal
1/4 c flour (optional)  I forgot add it and it turned out really good.
1/2 brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
pinch of salt
6 Tbs cold butter

Mix all ingredients together in a food processor  or in a medium bowl using your fingers until well combined. You want it to look crumbly.

Now pour apples in the pie crust.  Then add the Oatmeal crisp topping on top until well covered.  Bake at 350 for about 50 mins. The crust and the crisp should both be golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment